Friday, March 9, 2012

Why is this blog called the Palmetto Bug?


Technically it's a roach, the American cockroach, Periplaneta americana.  According to the article on Wikipedia, due to human activity, the palmetto bug is found around the world and is the largest of the common cockroaches.

The Palmetto Bug has been called the State Bird of South Carolina.

I am a native of South Carolina born in Baptist Hospital in Columbia, the state's capital. I have lived in Columbia, Darlington, back to Columbia, Greenville, Charleston, and now Piedmont. In being taught the history of South Carolina, I was led to believe I should be proud of our Palmetto State.

Looking at my state's history, some of it is not quite pleasant. Looking at our present, some makes me sad.

I will not dwell on those things that make me sad. You have a list, also. While there may be some overlap, there will be differences. Some things may be specific to our state. Some may have a national reach.

I want change. I want it for me, my wife, and my children. I want it for my granddaughter and any other grandchildren.

I am not likely to be elected to office. Even if I were a legislator, governor, president; I would be one person among many. This is my chosen method to promote change. The changes I will suggest will be general and specific, philosophical and concrete. I will begin with the more general and philosophical.

Though I strongly believe in working within the system (that is, in this case government), I have a great respect for those who in the past have worked outside the system to "bug" it to change. This includes: Jesus Christ, Martin Luther, MLK, Ghandi, W.E.B Dubois, Lech Walesa, William Lloyd Garrison, Frederick Douglas, the Grimke Sisters, Alice Paul, and more.

I hope to be a Palmetto Bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.